Machine Learning and Modelling for Social Networks
GESS-COSS will offer a block course which covers computational and statistical methods to characterize the structure and dynamics of complex social networks. We cover methods such as clustering, classification, spectral analysis and Montecarlo and also specific applications to social network data and spreading processes on these networks. We discuss current research and ethical questions raised by applications.
The block course runs from 9am-12pm from the 8 May to the 12 May in the rooms list in the course catalogue (NB: these rooms are subject to change so check before the course starts).
For further information, please consult the course catalogue.
|Date and Room||Time||Presenter||Topic|
|08.05.||Monday||Introduction to Machine Learning and Networks|
|HG E 3||9:00-9:30||Olivia Woolley Meza||Introduction to the course and motivation (PDF, 1 MB)|
|HG E 3||9:30-11:00||Izabela Moise||Introduction to Machine Learning: Supervised (classification) and unsupervised (clustering) (PDF, 120.1 MB)|
|HG E 3||11:00-12:00||Olivia Woolley Meza
||Introduction to networks (PDF, 7.1 MB)
|09.05.||Tuesday||Spreading on Networks|
|ML H 37.1||9:00-10:30||Olivia Woolley Meza
||Social networks, contagion, and influence (PDF, 4.1 MB)|
|ML H 37.1||10:30-11:30||Michael Mathioudakis, Aalto University||Measuring polarization on social media Michael Mathioudakis; Aalto University (PDF, 2.5 MB)
|ML H 37.1||11:30-12:00||Student discussion and forming groups for final project|
|10.05.||Wednesday||Dynamics on Networks and text analytics|
|ML H 37.1||9:00-10:00||Nino Antulov-Fantulin||Sampling, estimations and inference of dynamical processes on networks (PDF, 10.9 MB)|
|ML H 37.1||10:00-11:00||Izabela Moise
||Big Data and Machine Learning - Twitter case-study (PDF, 28.7 MB)
|ML H 37.1||11:00-12:00||Lloyd Sanders
||Introduction to Sentiment Analysis (PDF, 2.5 MB)|
|11.05.||Thursday||Opinion dynamics, Structural Inference and Link Prediction|
|LEE E 101||9:00-10:00||Michael Maes, University of Groningen||Does social influence on the web foster opinion polarization? Results from two field and one natural experiment|
|LEE E 101||10:00-11:00||Lloyd Sanders||Introduction to link prediction (PDF, 5.2 MB)|
|LEE E 101||11:00-12:00||Nino Antulov-Fantulin
||Detecting Network Structure with Machine Learning Methods (PDF, 5.6 MB)|
||Tutorial and Evaluation Day|
|LEE E 101||9:00-10:00||Lloyd Sanders
||Practical Data Analysis with Jupyter Notebooks (IPYNB, 60 KB)|
|LEE E 101||10:00-12:00||Evaluation|
- Christophe Andrieu, Nando de Freitas, Arnaud Doucet, Michael I. Jordan, An Introduction to MCMC for Machine Learning
- Video Tutorial: Essence of Linear Algebra
- Marco Saerens, Francois Fouss, Luh Yen and Pierre Dupont, The Principal Components Analysis of a Graph, and its Relationships to Spectral Clustering
- Daniel D. Lee , H. Sebastian Seung, Algorithms for Non-negative Matrix Factorization
- Ulrike von Luxburg, A Tutorial on Spectral Clustering
- Working with Text Data, User Guide from Sci-kit Learn
- Sentiment Analysis of Short Informal Texts; Kiritchenko et al., Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research 2014
- Assessing vaccination sentiments with online social media: Implications for infectious disease dynamics and control, PLoS Comp. Bio. 2011.
- Link prediction in complex networks: A survey; Lü and Zhou, Physica A; 2011
- Spectral evolution in dynamic networks; Kunegis et al.; Knowl. Inf. Syst.; 2013
- David M. Blei, Andrew Y. Ng, and Michael I. Jordan. Latent dirichlet allocation.
- Y. Teh, D. Newman, and M. Welling.A collapsed variational bayesian inference algorithm for latent dirichlet allocation.
- Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat. Mapreduce: simplified data processing on large clusters.
- J. B. MacQueen. Some methods for classification and analysis ofmultivariate observations.
- Martin Ester, Hans-Peter Kriegel, Jörg Sander, and Xiaowei Xu. A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise.
- Matei Zaharia, Mosharaf Chowdhury, Michael J. Franklin, Scott Shenker, Ion Stoica Spark: Cluster Computing with Working Sets
- Haewoon Kwak, Changhyun Lee, Hosung Park, and Sue Moon. What is Twitter, a Social Network or a News Media?
- Easley, David, and Jon Kleinberg. Networks, crowds, and markets: Reasoning about a highly connected world. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Newman, Mark EJ. "The structure and function of complex networks." SIAM review 45.2 (2003): 167-256.
- Alpaydin, Ethem. Introduction to machine learning. MIT press, 2014.
- Porter, Mason A., and James P. Gleeson. "Dynamical systems on networks." Frontiers in Applied Dynamical Systems: Reviews and Tutorials 4 (2016).