Projects - Spring 2011
The research project is the core part of this course. Students are required to implement an established mathematical model from the (sociological or related) literature in MATLAB. The final grade in the course is based on a 15 min. oral presentation and a written 30-40 pages report (including source code) detailing the project.
The project work may be completed in groups of one to three people - we recommend to work at least in pairs such that the work load for each student is not too large. Project topic suggestions with literature reference will be made available below. There will be enough time to select a project among the suggested topics or a topic of a student's choice that is in accordance with the framework of the course. Students are then asked to submit a short proposal detailing their intended research project; a template for the project proposal will be made available below.
Download: proposal template (DOCX, 87 KB)
Project Suggestions - Spring 2011
Please find below the list of projects topics we suggest this term. Each zip-archive contains one or several papers on the respective topic.
If you have an interesting project idea not listed below that you would like to realize, please approach us with a short but conclusive description of your project idea and provide us with the paper(s) you would like to base the project on.
- 01-Artificial Financial Markets (ZIP, 1.4 MB)
- 02-Civil_Violence.zip (ZIP, 10.2 MB)
- 03-Collective_Behaviour.zip (ZIP, 6.2 MB)
- 04 - Disaster Spreading (ZIP, 2.4 MB)
- 05-Emergence_of_Conventions.zip (ZIP, 4.5 MB)
- 06-Emergence_of_Cooperation.zip (ZIP, 7.7 MB)
- 07-Emergence_of_Norms_and_Culture.zip (ZIP, 21.3 MB)
- 08-Emergence_of_Values.zip (ZIP, 1.1 MB)
- 09-Evacuation_Bottleneck.zip (ZIP, 924 KB)
- 10-Friendship_Network_Formation.zip (ZIP, 760 KB)
- 11-Innovation_Diffusion.zip (ZIP, 1.7 MB)
- 12-Interstate_Conflict.zip (ZIP, 6.7 MB)
- 13-Language_Formation.zip (ZIP, 4.3 MB)
- 14-Learning.zip (ZIP, 2 MB)
- 15-Opinion_Formation.zip (ZIP, 2.7 MB)
- 16-Pedestrian_Dynamics.zip (ZIP, 4.1 MB)
- 17-Self-organized_Criticality.zip (ZIP, 7.2 MB)
- 18-Social_Networks_Evolution.zip (ZIP, 7.1 MB)
- 19-Task_Allocation_and_Division_of_labor.zip (ZIP, 5.4 MB)
- 20-Traffic Dynamics (ZIP, 1.8 MB)
- 21-Trail_Formation.zip (ZIP, 7.4 MB)
- 22-Wikipedia.zip (ZIP, 1.3 MB)
"Sponsored" Projects topics:*
* sponsored means that these topics are active research at SOMS or DBGT (Decision and Behavioral Game Theory) chairs and projects in these areas are highly welcome. Students who decide to engage in these topics can receive special support throughout the course, but are at the same time expected to be highly motivated and to produce better quality results (given the extra support). It is an exceptional opportunity to match a didactic and research experience.
Project Reports - HS 2010
The files below contain an assortment of project reports from the previous semester. Please look through some of the reports to get an idea for the kind of work we are expecting from you. Note that we are very aware of the projects that have been previously completed in the course and we want to remind you that copying of previously submitted work will result in automatic failure of the course.
- Agent Based Financial Markets Model - Author(s): F. Müller-Reiter, M. Wyss (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Modeling Civil Violence_- Author(s): A. Grimm, M. Koller, Z. Solèr (PDF, 999 KB)
- Train Boarding Platform Simulation_- Author(s): D. Graf, M. Krebs (PDF, 2.9 MB)
- Modeling the 2010 Love Parade Evacuation - Author(s): C. Fougner, J. Guthrie (PDF, 908 KB)
- Innovation Diffusion - Author(s): F. Oberholzer, J. Süess (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Language Formation - Author(s): A. Apostolou, D. Bolis (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Opinion Formation in a Continuous Network-based Model - Author(s): J. Hildebrand, J. Bär, R. Fuchs (PDF, 4.4 MB)
- Performance of strong and weak link networks in opinion formations - Author(s): M. Vetter, P. Sornette, J. B. Heimsoeth (PDF, 697 KB)
- Division of Labour in Insect Societies - Author(s): A. Stamp, K. Wang (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Fuel Consumption on a single lane highway under variable traffic densities - Author(s): P. Benedek, T. Meier (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Traffic Dynamics, Comparison of single-lane and two-lane roundabouts - Author(s): D. Eugster, R. Fuchs (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Formation of Human Trail Systems - Author(s): J. Pfefferle, N. Pleschko (PDF, 809 KB)
- Modeling Knowledge Sharing - Author(s): E. Aksüyek, H. Garriga (PDF, 3.2 MB)